Shiatsu is a form of massage that originated in Japan and traditional Chinese medicine. It has been widely practiced around the world since the 1970’s. Shiatsu means “finger pressure,” which describes the technique. Shiatsu therapy is practiced on a cushioned floor mat and the client is fully clothed, in loose, comfortable clothing. In shiatsu therapy, pressure with thumbs, hands, elbows, knees or feet is applied to pressure points on the body. This form of bodywork also focuses on rotating and stretching limbs, joints, and pressure points, or meridians (energy lines or highways that run through the body), as they’re called in traditional Chinese medicine.
The theory behind shiatsu is that our bodies are made up of energy, called qi, and that energy gets blocked and causes suffering. Shiatsu massage helps remove the blockages by realigning meridian points, which balances the qi and eases the body and mind. When one balances qi, or vital energy, healing occurs in the body. The nervous and immune systems are both stimulated by applying pressure to the meridians, providing relief for both body and mind. Shiatsu also restores the circulatory system, improving blood flow throughout the body.
The body has twelve meridians, named according to its corresponding organ: lung, large intestine, stomach, spleen, heart, small intestine, bladder, kidney, heart governor, triple heater, gall bladder and liver. The functions of these organs have a broader definition in Eastern medicine.
Benefits of Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu massage has many benefits to the body and mind. Some benefits include:
- Restore and maintain the body’s energy, especially helpful to those suffering from fatigue and overall weakness
- Improve circulation
- Reduce stress and tension as well as anxiety and depression
- Relief from headaches
- Promote healing from sprains and similar injuries
- Help bring relief to arthritis sufferers
- Reduce problems with stiff neck and shoulders as well as backaches (including sciatica)
- Coughs, colds, and other sinus and respiratory problems
- Help those dealing with insomnia
- Aid in treatment of such various things as digestive disorders, bowel trouble, morning sickness, and menstrual problems
For more information, read the healing effects of massage.
Other Massage Services
- Swedish Massage
- Myofascial Release
- Oncology Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Sports Massage
- Chair Massage
- or contact me with a special request!
Ready to Schedule?